Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Health & Inherited Conditions


My main reason for DNA testing was for genealogy research but a big side benefit turned out to be the 23andMe test results for health and inherited conditions.  These results come before matching of genomes is available.

Our family has a history of both Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.  When the results came back, it was actually a little scary the way they presented the information.   It has always been in the back of my mind that this will be my fate but that is a little different than actually facing it square on.  Before viewing, it is recommended that you watch a video and decide if you want to see the results.  By this time I am wondering if they do this for everyone or just the people with bad news.  I image some people would prefer not to know.  Me, I want to know so I can do something about it, if possible.

When I finally did click on the results, it was a huge relief to find out that I actually have a reduced chance for Alzheimer's and am at normal risk for Parkinson's.  What a relief!!!  However, I have elevated risks on a few other heath items that I am reviewing.  Plus two conditions that were partially inherited and could be passed on to my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment